|Age||20 (physically, to Steve)|
22 (physically, to Vincent)
|Hair||Blonde (to Vincent)|
Black (to Steve and Orlando)
|Eyes||Blue (to Vincent)|
Red (as non-human)
|Height||167cm (5’6”) (to Vincent)|
Video game developer at Fowles Electronics
|Time At Bar||Day 2: 22:10-end of night|
Day 3: 22:30-end of night
Day 6: 22:40-end of night
|JPN VA||Miyuki Sawashiro|
Full Body DLC:
|ENG VA||Laura Bailey|
- "Marriage is just a 'tradition', right? Seriously, who wants to be tied down? As long as two people are together, it's okay, right? It's best to be free, don't you think?"
- — Catherine questioning marriage to Vincent
A mysterious young beauty, Catherine falls in love with Vincent Brooks which becomes the catalyst of the game's story. She works as a video game developer at a technology company called Fowles Electronics where she has worked on a "peeping tom dating sim" video game.
Her seductiveness is more than just an act. In actuality, it is revealed that Catherine is a demonic succubus from the underworld. In her free time, she seduces men by shapeshifting into their ideal woman, and then kills them by dooming them to their nightmares. It is unknown if she is a rapist or a consensual succubus. Although many would call her "evil", her mission is to help clear the world and human gene pool of unfaithful cheating men.
Catherine is a playable character in the DLC of Catherine: Full Body.
- 1 Design
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Catherine: The Novel
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Etymology
- 7 The Trivia for Tonight.....
- 8 Gallery
As a shapeshifting succubus, Catherine can shapeshift into various women according to each of her victims' tastes, even allowing herself to appear as Katherine McBride. Her most common form as the mental image of Vincent Brooks' ideal woman is that of a young Caucasian (white) woman with blonde hair in swirling ringlet pigtails, a potential reference to the ram horns in the game. She wears blue eyeshadow, possibly pink lipstick and pink nail polish.
She wears a white corset-like shirt, a white miniskirt, white stockings and white high heels. Her outfit resembles lingerie. Her lacy bra is visible and has heart designs which match her lacy heart necklace. Around her waist is a red ribbon tied into a bow which is likely a reference to the traditional obi, a sash worn on kimono outfits, as well as the merging of American and Japanese aesthetics in the game.
While at Vincent's apartment, she sometimes wears a t-shirt with four hearts, with 1.5 of the 4 filled and "empty" underneath. This shirt seems to be a parody of Zelda. It is unclear if this shirt is Catherine's or Vincent's.
In the Catherine True Ending, her true form as a succubus in the underworld is that of a black and white striped figure with demonic horns on top. She stil retains her blonde ringlet-pigtailed hair which is grown longer than her human form to Vincent. She also wears what appears to be long black gloves that extend past her elbows, but still retains the red ribbon tied around her waist.
In the new Catherine ending in Full Body, Catherine now has straight blonde hair instead of ringlet pigtails (aside from her wedding attire) and she wears a long white dress. Even in this form, she is still capable of exhibiting her demonic horns from her true succubus form.
Catherine is generally a upbeat, cheerful, eccentric, carefree, enigmatic and bubbly woman whose initial physical appearance and personality are meant to mirror what Vincent is searching for: a free soul. Freedom defines her entire attitude and feelings towards life: she's impulsive and resists commitment. This is demonstrated by the fact that she works with Mutton to corral men into the Nightmares "on a whim". Despite being a succubus, Catherine isn't entirely cold-hearted — in the novelization, she tells Jonathan Ariga that she feels bad that he will probably begin having "nightmares". It is also difficult to label her as "evil" or "malevolent".
Catherine spends more time with Vincent as their relationship develops, neglecting her duties as a succubus. It's unclear if Catherine has a true interest in and feelings for Vincent, but given that she allows herself to be with him in certain endings and is upset when he attempts to leave her, it seems that a part of Catherine truly does love Vincent. Her true personality is evident in the Catherine True Ending and Catherine Good Ending, where her attraction to a chaotic Vincent is clear. On the other hand, in one of her texts along the route to her new ending in Full Body, Catherine expresses her seriousness in re-considering her thoughts about the importance of a committed relationship with Vincent, wishing that they both met each other under different circumstances. In the said ending, Catherine geniunely expresses her guilt for making Vincent suffer through the Nightmares, while deeply confessing her love for him and promising him to keep him happy in their relationship.
During the Catherine Bad Ending however, she shows nowhere near as much interest in him. This shows that, despite her initial attraction to Vincent, Catherine seeks excitement above all else. However, she still admits that she slightly enjoyed her relationship with Vincent, and that it wasn't simply all role-playing.
Catherine's personality is almost the polar opposite of Katherine McBride as Katherine has a Type A personality and Catherine has a Type B personality. While Katherine is a workaholic, Catherine hates working and always asks Vincent when he's done with his job, viewing jobs as another thing that chains people down. However, as revealed in a text, she views jobs and work as a necessary important evil to maintain a functioning society though she simply hates overworking and enjoys relaxing and destressing. She is very uplifting, approving and supportive of Vincent and tells him he's fine just the way he is — a contrast to Katherine's berating, criticizing, scrutinizing and nagging attitude towards Vincent. Unlike Katherine, Catherine doesn't seem to mind Vincent's drinking and smoking habits. Catherine is more affectionate with Vincent than Katherine. Catherine is more playful, unpredictable, mischievous, wild and naughty, contrasting with Katherine's serious attitude. While Katherine pushes marriage, Catherine thinks marriage is overrated and doesn't see it as more than a man-made tradition instead of something god-given. Katherine dresses conservatively while Catherine is not afraid of doning herself in more sexually arousing attires (examples include near-nude, bikini, lingerie and bunny).
Catherine can be perceived as an emotionally, sexually, physically abusive, and manipulative girlfriend. She is prone to having rapid swings of emotions — she's revealed to be rather emotional, experiencing rage one moment and joy the next. When Vincent breaks up with her on Day 7, her initial reaction is one of desperation; that, as long as she is #1 in his life, he may have another woman, even a child, in his life. Though this can be seen as a last play at manipulation, her reaction appears genuine. It quickly shifts to abuse and violence when Vincent follows her into the Stray Sheep's bathroom and he is physically assaulted, beaten, punched, and screamed at by her. Catherine warns him of the dangers of breaking up with her and, thus, leaving her "protection". Catherine also makes suicidal threats to Vincent about how she'd "die" if he cheated on her. She has a tendency to give violent love bites, which Vincent has to cover up with bandages to hide.
In addition, due to her succubus nature, Catherine may be a rapist and Vincent could be viewed as a rape victim. It can be argued that Vincent's first drunken hookup with Catherine was consensual, since they might have both been drunk at the time. However, Vincent can't remember it in the morning, or any of their other sexual encounters either. It is unknown if she ever actually had sex with Vincent during the events of the main story, and there are arguments both ways. Supporting facts for this claim include the Immoral Beast, the fact that Catherine wakes up next to Vincent naked, and in Vincent's dream prior to The Cathedral, she quotes "After all [Vincent has] done to [her] body... Night, after night..." implies that they had sex. However, this only occurred in one of Vincent's dreams, although it can then be counter-argued that Vincent's reality would naturally affect his dreams and subconscious.
Catherine has a few hobbies, interests and quirks. Catherine tells Vincent she has a sweet tooth (though the only food she is shown to order in the game is the summer squash pasta while at Chrono Rabbit), enjoys horror movies, and playing video games with her father. In the Rapunzel novelization, Catherine works as a video game developer, showing that she has a creative side. Despite being a demon, she seems to fear ants.
No details are given about her origin, other than that she is an ancient succubus from the "Underworld" (spirit realm) who is able to change her form to suit the ideal woman of a man and also has the power to enter the dreams of men, though she does have an antagonistic relationship with her overprotective father, Nergal, who is the Lord of the "Underworld". It is unknown how much power she has as to her position in the demonic hierarchy.
She is focusing on Vincent's city for her marks because of her casual "employment" with Thomas Mutton. Her appearance as an ideal woman to other men is completely different than when she appears to Vincent. Catherine has successfully targeted and seduced Vincent Brooks, Steve Delhomme, Orlando Haddick, Archie Wallace, Morgan Cortez, Daniel Kirsch, Justin Bailey and Freddie McGoohan.
Catherine: The Mysterious Tale of Rapunzel
Catherine is a major character in the novel Catherine: The Mysterious Tale of Rapunzel, in which she appears to be a new video game developer to Freddie. Despite Freddie being in a relationship with Stella Simmons, she has sex with him, dooming him to the nightmares. Catherine comes up with the idea of a peeping Tom game involving stalkers and filming sex scenes, although Freddie is uneasy about it.
Later, Freddie tells Catherine about Georg Valença's death. Once again concerned about Freddie’s wellbeing, Catherine tries to comfort Freddie, giving him a kiss and offering to finish the proposal herself. Confessing that she has taken a liking to Freddie, Catherine asks Freddie if she can stay at his apartment for the night. Feeling better by her company, Freddie accepts Catherine’s offer then immediately feels his phone buzzing. Freddie answered his phone to hear Stella asking him to come over to her house. Moving to the bathroom to avoid Catherine hearing the conversation, Freddie declined Stella’s request causing her voice to become more demanding as she claimed that she would “curse” Freddie if he did not see her. Still declining her request, Freddie offers to see her tomorrow. Entering the bathroom just as Freddie ends the call, Catherine asks who Freddie was talking to. Freddie claims it was a friend of Georg while Catherine tells Freddie she suspects it was a woman. Amused at Freddie’s surprised reaction, Catherine claims to not mind and leaves with Freddie to his apartment.
One night, Freddie makes his way back home runs into a drunken Catherine who soon claims was waiting for him, claiming that she simply had a feeling that he would be there. Her body coming close to Freddie, Catherine invited herself to Freddie’s apartment which Freddie eventually obliged to. After some teasing back and forth, Freddie admits to Catherine and himself that he likes her and that she is “special”. Catherine confesses her love to Freddie before kissing him once more. Arriving near his apartment, Freddie noticed the light was on in his room and a dark figure resembling Stella walk across its window. Hearing Stella call out to Freddie and concerned about her reaction to his affair, Freddie tries to get Catherine to leave before she opens the door but she resists. As Stella opens the door and Freddie tries to explain why Catherine is with him, Freddie is shocked to find Catherine having disappeared from sight.
On another night, Freddie was handed a rough sketch of the house design for the game’s characters by Catherine. Feeling a weird sense of déjà vu, Freddie asks Catherine if it is her house which she denies (Catherine actually drew a layout of Stella's house). Thinking about the past events of Georg’s and Daryl’s death, Freddie couldn’t help but feel they are connected. Freddie then impulsively asks Catherine to come live with him, wanting her to be by his side not just work but at morning and night. Taken aback by this offer Catherine stays quiet and before being able to give an answer, Freddie’s phone starts to ring. Being told by Catherine to answer his phone, Freddie reluctantly obliges to find Stella asking him if he has been having dreams and if a sheep fell then to meet her at the Stray Sheep at 10 offering to tell Freddie all about the dreams. After the call ended, Freddie looked back to Catherine only to find himself as the only person around in the office.
Catherine eventually disappears. However, she appears in Freddie's nightmare. Freddie asks Catherine what is happening and what she's doing here. Catherine explains that Freddie has reached the end of the nightmare; that she is a succubus and she only decided to help out on seducing and culling males who got in the way of the plan on a whim. She continues to say that the nightmare was a device Thomas Mutton made for that purpose. Freddie claims to be unaware of anyone by the name of Thomas Mutton. Catherine goes on to explain that the sheep who fell were in fact as Freddie suspected human but also that they were specifically males and that the Sophie monster was just a manifestation of Freddie's fear that him breaking up with her caused her death, that she might still be alive if he stayed with her.
Feeling some with relief from hearing this news and that the monster that chased him isn't actually his deceased ex-girlfriend Sophie Mallow, Freddie asks Catherine if the sheep with the silver rosary that died was Georg. Taking her silence as confirmation, Freddie then asked if Daryl also died in the nightmare as well which Catherine also confirmed. Getting further angered by this, Freddie asks why they’re being culled, Catherine claims not to be the one behind the nightmares but it has something to do with men getting in the way of the flourishing of the species, men who don’t marry healthy-minded women are to be punished by being sent in the nightmare. The deaths of Georg and Daryl begin to make more sense to Freddie, Freddie was aware that Daryl was in the middle of cheating on his wife and assumed it was Georg’s actions with Stella which caused him to enter the nightmare.
Returning his thoughts to the current ongoing events, Freddie asks Catherine where Stella is. Catherine says she doesn’t know, she's only here because she was interested in him claiming that Freddie’s climbing gave her chills asking Freddie what she wants to do with her. Freddie takes her had saying he wants to be with her and wants to live with her. Catherine is taken aback by this offer claiming that they can’t do this because she’s a succubus. Freddie dismisses that as unimportant. Catherine retorts that it does matter because Freddie would no longer be human but a demon like her and would need to live with her in the spirit realm. As Freddie begins to think about the things he would have to leave behind in his world, Catherine teases Freddie saying that none of that should matter as long as they were together. Still unsure what to do, Freddie asks Catherine if he can drink beer in the spirit realm causing Catherine's mood to deflate. Catherine says she now realised that Freddie prefers his world to her. Freddie denies this, trying to take his word back but Catherine ignores his pleas and started to move away claiming maybe it was just too much of a fun dream. She finally states that it was silly of her to think of how nice it would be to live with a human before waving goodbye and disappearing to a desperate Freddie begging her not to leave.
Catherine first appears at the Stray Sheep after Vincent's friends have gone home. She entices Vincent with her refreshing mindset of freedom and an aversion to commitment, matching her personality and looks to be exactly what he's looking for. She goes home with him that night.
On Day 2, she wakes up next to him in bed and, after a brief talk, runs off for an urgent "dentist appointment" (with Steve). She meets him again at the Stray Sheep that same night and, again, wakes up with him, this time, telling him her name. Their affair continues.
It is heavily implied that she breaks up with Steve on Day 3 to spend more time with Vincent. Steve appears in a more frantic and paranoid state on 4-1 trying to find "her" again. The following day, he's able to track Vincent down and threatens him, desperate to get Catherine back. This makes it clear that Catherine broke up with Steve by telling him that she was seeing Vincent.
On Day 5, Vincent confronts Catherine about the phone call he received from Steve Delhomme, demanding that they stop seeing each other, as Steve is Catherine's boyfriend. She denies this, saying he has the wrong Catherine. However, this makes Vincent very suspicious of Catherine, suspecting she's cheating. This also throws a wrench in his plan to break up with Catherine. Vincent theorizes that Steve may be a stalker following Catherine. Catherine tells Vincent being with him can be a real pain sometimes.
A couple days afterwards, Vincent calls her to the Stray Sheep and breaks up with her. He informs her that he is in a relationship with someone he got pregnant, and wished to tell her earlier, but he had difficulty. Catherine claims that he can continue being with her as long as Catherine is Vincent's "number one", which bothers Vincent. Though hurt and upset, Catherine is still desperate to stay with Vincent, but he says he can't see her anymore, causing her to cry. Catherine says "I'm going to die" and goes to the bathroom. Vincent follows her into the bathroom, she takes her anger and sadness out on him physically by beating him. He won't relent and ends up completely breaking things off, despite her protests.
Catherine appears shortly after that in Vincent's apartment, as he is welcoming Katherine in. After a heated exchange of insults between the two women, Katherine, due to Vincent's betrayal and Catherine's constant insults of her worthlessness to Vincent and Catherine's "superiority" to Katherine, snaps with despair and moves over to the kitchen sink searching for a kitchen knife while still facing Vincent and Catherine but to no avail as Catherine predicted this and took the knife in advance.
Vincent attempts to calm down Katherine by telling her that he had already called off his affair with Catherine, causing Catherine to snap with rage and jealousy and Catherine blames Katherine for Vincent's confusion. Catherine claims that if Katherine went away, Vincent could finally be free and attempts to kill Katherine with the kitchen knife. Vincent tries to defend Katherine and is cut non-fatally in his right lower rib cage. As Katherine dashes over the coffee table to escape, Catherine grabs Katherine's hair, shoves her to the floor and a struggle begins. Catherine ends up impaling her abdomen despite seemingly having the upper-hand on Katherine while they are both on the ground; this is the last time she's seen normally in the game (aside her endings), though she briefly returns as the 8th boss of Vincent's nightmares.
Catherine is a boss in the one and only level of The Cathedral. She takes the form of a giant nude demonic version of herself with her skin peeling off; most especially on her left arm. Her mouth is exaggeratedly large, showing rows of sharp fangs. Her hair is identical to her human form. During the climb, Catherine constantly insults Katherine; she asks her "You can only get his attention by getting pregnant?" and says "You're just his dead weight!". At the same time, she tries to convince Vincent to forget Katherine.
Later on, Thomas Mutton explains her existence as a succubus; that he employed her to help with The Great Trials. He explains that normal people cannot normally see her and reassures Vincent that he will never see her again.
- Catherine True: Vincent forces Boss to summon Catherine to the Stray Sheep. Vincent confesses his love to her, explaining that he is now "free" from the "herd" of society, and makes his proposal to marry her. Catherine is confused by the proposal informing him of the problems of he, a human male, having her, a succubus, as a bride entail ("The whole 'kid' thing would have to be off the table... And I mean, and I mean everything I did to you, I might do to other guys..."), but Vincent merely suggests that they try taking one day at a time to which she asks if he's okay with that. However, his answer is cut short by the appearance of Nergal: Catherine's father and lord of the Underworld. Nergal feels a mere human asking to wed his daughter is utterly absurd. Catherine tells her father to leave because she is having an important conversation. Vincent asks for no more games and her true opinion of him, to which Catherine blushes happily and her father asks is she embarrassed over a simple human which angers Catherine further and causes her to groin kick him and tell him to "shut up" to silence his griping and interrupting. Catherine then confesses that she does, in human terms, like Vincent and she admits that she was supposed to be seducing other human male targets but choose instead to forsake her mission to spend her time with Vincent. Vincent asks Catherine to marry him which Catherine, with some hesitation and thought, accepts; they hug joyously while ignoring Catherine's father's objections to this.
- Several days later, Catherine and Vincent wake up in his room after a wild night. Vincent notices that Boss is lying in his bed. Catherine explains that he is there to stalk the two. She hugs Vincent, saying, "It's better when someone's watching...", and she pulls herself on top of him, and confesses that she really loves him. It is revealed his apartment is now in the Underworld.
- Many weeks after the conclusion of the game, Vincent has been transformed into some kind of supernatural entity. Catherine verbally expresses considering skipping out on her work that day to which Vincent questions her shirking her duties and Catherine replies with "Oh come on... It's not like there are any men out there hotter than you [Vincent]". He is also, according to his harem of succubi, such an excellent male specimen that many of them forego their duties just so they can be around him. Catherine exclaims that everyone acknowledges Vincent's power now, then taps her father for agreement. As a heartfelt and passionate kiss is sharded between Vincent and Catherine, Nergal shrugs in disgust at the sight to which Catherine, somewhat disappointed that her father hasn't accepted the situation (particularly, her love for her new husband), simply replies with "Oh, Daddy. Stop being difficult, just give up already."
- Catherine Good: Basically the same as the True Ending, except missing the final scene where Vincent has been transformed.
- Catherine Bad: Vincent forces Boss to summon Catherine to the Stray Sheep. Catherine arrives, somewhat puzzled that Vincent wants to see her again. He explains his feelings and begs her to marry him, stating he will be willing to give up his humanity and everything in order to live with her. She is shocked and disturbed at his advances, explaining that it can never work out because she feels that he is not daring enough to be with someone of her nature, along with their biological differences. Before leaving, she tells him if they meet again, she'll consider his proposal. After Catherine leaves, Vincent reasons that she is still outside. He tries to chase her, only to be hit by a car. He stumbles back in the bar, asking someone to call 911.
Catherine: Full Body
In Catherine: Full Body, it is possible for the player to select 1 of 11 possible voices for her when using Japanese voices. In the Nintendo Switch version of Full Body, three more voices have been added.
On certain nights, Catherine will visit the Stray Sheep just like she did in the original game. If the player has Vincent talk to her, there will be a new small animated cutscene between Catherine and Vincent which follows.
In Catherine's new ending, Vincent and Catherine meet at the Stray Sheep. Catherine wonders why Vincent asked to see her after learning the truth about her being a demon who lures and deceives men. Vincent replies saying he just had to see her. Catherine expresses guilt for playing a role in the nightmares Vincent suffered. She admits that while she initially just took part in the nightmare plan on a whim, she's started developing feelings for Vincent which she has never felt before. Vincent explains that he wishes that he could have met Catherine under different circumstances but he does not care about the past. Catherine replies saying 'It's okay', she kisses him as a portal opens transporting them both away from the Stray Sheep.
Vincent wakes up years ago, back in his high school classroom, with his friends (Jonny, Orlando, Erica and Paul who are all at high school age as well) telling him to wake up. Vincent is initially confused by saying that Paul is meant to be dead, keeping his memories from the original timeline. Paul explains a new student is transferring shortly before Catherine arrives, now visible to everyone asking Vincent if it's okay if she sits next to him. Vincent's friends are then seen talking about his relationship with Catherine, which could help Vincent who is having problems with his parents at home.
Several years later Catherine and Vincent get married at the Stray Sheep, in the company of Vincent's friends: Katherine and Paul who are now dating, Toby, Erica, Orlando and Jonny. Catherine asks Vincent if he's now happy. Vincent explains that he is happy because he is with her, everything that Vincent is now is because of her. Vincent tells Catherine that choosing to be with her wasn't a mistake and he'll prove it with his life. Catherine and Vincent say they love each other and kiss. Catherine and Vincent's lives together are shown in the post credits where they have kids.
If the player does Rin's route, on the 7th evening, Vincent breaks up with Catherine without beating him up like she did in the original story though she suspects Rin to be the reason. Before leaving the Stray Sheep, she can be seen talking with Mutton, counting on him to handle Vincent. In the dream of the following night, Vincent witnesses Catherine defiling Rin's corpse with a knife after killing her. Catherine then tries to kill Vincent, killing Katherine along the way. The real Rin appears and saves Vincent and as Rin and Vincent escape, Catherine manages to cut Rin's leg. After Vincent rescues Rin following the former's triumph over Mutton, Catherine sends a text to Vincent expressing her surprise over the victory while still not forgiving Vincent for choosing someone over her and subtley challenges him the next time they meet.
Catherine: The Novel
Catherine appears in the novelization re-telling of Catherine, with more events focused on Catherine's interactions with Jonny, Orlando and Steve. For example, she appeared to Jonny at an aquarium and tried to seduce him, taking a physical form similar to Katherine (signifying that Jonny has feelings for Katherine), and the feelings in Jonny's heart were enough to send him into the nightmares, even after he rejected her. Jonny is Catherine's only known failed target who has successfully resisted her. The novel also features a new ending where Vincent marries Catherine.
- "Hey, Vincent! If you get this, let me know, k? If you do, I'll send you a picture! You know you wanna see it!"
- "YAY! Thanks for writing back! ♥ Be sure to save my address, k? I'm saving yours! v(^_^)v Here's the reward I promised. Don't show it to anyone else!"
- "Hey! ♡ How are you doing? ♥ Are you still at work? Are you done yet?"
- "Okies. KK. I understand! ♡ Hehehe! (^3^) Mwah! Oh, I took a new picture. Here!"
- "Oh... That's a shame... (;_;) K, I'll hold it in for now. But you're such a good guy! Work is important! Work hard! I'm proud of you! ♥"
- "Show & Tell!!! ♥♥ Hi Vincent!♡ I'm sending you a special picture! ♥ Try not to act surprised if you're opening it at work or something. Just thinking of your reaction when you see this is making me laugh!"
- "Heyyyy How's it going, Vincent? ♥ What are you doing right now?"
- "You meanie! Why are you blowing me off!? I only wanted to see you... Can I call you, then? Calling's okay, right?"
- "You're so boring! ( ` ロ ' )/"
- "Some good medicine! Here's something that'll make you feel better! ♡ Well? Is it working? (^_~) Oh, sorry for sending that last one while you were at work. I hope I didn't get you in any trouble... ♥ Anyway, take care! ♥"
- "I'm wondering... Hey... Is it true that you have a tummyache? You're not lying to me... or hiding anything from me... Are you?"
- "Oh... I just want to be with you, Vincent. That's all... But you say these things that don't make any sense to me... It worries me. Do you think I'M the bad guy here?"
- "I'm so excited!♡♡♡ I hope you're working hard! I love when you talk about your job. ♡ Oooooh! It's our first *real* date tomorrow! I'm soooooooooooo excited!♥♥♥ ( >▽<)/ Let's do something else after we go to the movies!"
- "Men aren't the only ones who fear being chained down. Thank goodness. We think alike."
- "You must like what you see... You're a bad liar..."
- "Listen... I don't want you to get the wrong idea, okay? I don't just sleep around. I came here because I like you. So... How do you feel about me...?"
- "So then, it was love at first sight?"
- "You're so kinky..."
- "Hey... What's this long hair? ...It's not from another girl, is it, Vincent? You know, because if it is... I'm going to die right here."
- "Then, I'll kill you. I die... or I kill you... Which would be better? Fine. I'll give you... five seconds! If you don't answer me, I'll kill you! One.. Two... Threeeeee... Fouuuuur... Fiiiiiive..."
- "Is that the truth? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Okay! I trust you!"
- "I'm not going to ask you about the past. It doesn't matter. But from now on... If you ever cheat on me... I'll be angry."
- "What the HELL does that MEAN!? You are REALLY pissing me off! You don't get it. I can do anything you want me to... I'm protecting you! Why are you trying to leave me!? UGH. Are you an idiot!? Don't you see you're making a huge mistake!? You really REALLY should not leave me! " (assaulting Vincent for breaking up with her)
- "Vincent, honey, you're not really gonna try and play dumb now, are you? After all you've done to my body... Night after night... If you work hard enough to get something, you'll get it. Don't you think that's true? Well, he worked me hard, and now he's got me, simple as that. Plus... I'm sure you have nooo idea of this even, but this one's a wild man in the sack. Hehe... I don't think you can satisfy him anymore..."
- "Listen, honey, Vincent here only needs one thing in this world, alright? And it's sitting right next to him. Now take a hint and get out of here." (to Katherine)
- "Careful, if you keep making faces like that and you'll start getting wrinkles, you old granny." (to Katherine)
- "Hey, stop it! I don't give a rat's ass if you forgive him. The two of us are happy together! Look at how much you're bothering us. Why don't you go home, you old whore?! Do you even have a baby in that ice cave? That's just a lie, isn't it!? How desperate are you?! You're soooo pathetic!" (to Katherine)
- "It's because of YOU that Vincent's so confused right now! If you'd just go away, he could finally be FREE!" (to Katherine)
- "DON'T YOU RUN AWAY FROM ME!" (to Katherine)
The name Catherine is believed to have three possible Greek origins: "katharos" meaning pure, "aikia" meaning torture, and the name of Hecate the goddess of magic. Hecate is sometimes viewed as the Greek counterpart of Irkalla, the name of the Sumerian underworld and its ruler (the wife of Nergal)
The Trivia for Tonight.....
- Catherine's boss forms are the Immoral Beast and "Catherine".
- Catherine is written as キャサリン (Kyasarin) in Japanese for both Catherine and Katherine. This leads to more ambiguous references in the Japanese version, as the player must rely on context to determine which C/Katherine is being talked about. In a few instances in the English version, the vagueness of which one Vincent is talking about is so important that the localization team altered the subtitles to read as "her" when he actually speaks her name or not display them at all (such as Vincent's line in Stage 9-4).
- Catherine ordering pasta at the Chrono Rabbit is inconsistent with the story; it is crucially stated that only Vincent and Mutton can see her, although it can be said that the waiter/waitress at Chrono Rabbit can also see and hear her. Given that the player doesn't hear the waiter/waitress speak, it is also possible that Catherine was just pretending to talk with someone just so Vincent would hear her and run away from Katherine.
- Her e-mail through which Vincent texts her is "CoquettishCat@kriosphone...", where coquettish is a reference to her flirtatious personality and "Cat" is a shortening of her name. "kriosphone" seems to be a combination of "krios" and "phone". "Krios" is a probable reference to Crius, a figure in Greek mythology. "Krios" is also the ancient Greek word for "ram" (male sheep), which play a role in Catherine. "Kriosphone" could be viewed as a joke, since it is likely that it is the e-mail service used for succubi to connect to their victims.
- Atlus created Catherine pillowcases for pre-orders of the game, allowing fans to sleep with Catherine every night.
- As mentioned in Vincent's trivia, Catherine represents the blonde, young woman in which a man must choose between her, or a black haired and mature looking woman in one of the Lovers Arcana tales. Catherine represents physical desire.
- Katherine and Catherine share the same English voice actors with Yukari Takeba (Michelle Ruff voices Katherine and Yukari) and Rise Kujikawa (Laura Bailey voices Catherine and Rise), the characters who represent the Lovers Arcana (as Lovers Social Links and dating interests) in Persona 3 and Persona 4, respectively. Both games are related to Catherine.
- Lisa Silverman from Persona 2 and Ann Takamaki from Persona 5 are also of the Lovers Arcana, and have blonde hair and blue eyes.
- All of Catherine's voice actresses have also portrayed characters from Persona.
- Laura Bailey also voiced Rise Kujikawa and the female protagonist of Persona 3 Portable
- Miyuki Sawashiro also voiced Elizabeth and Chidori Yoshino, Jun Kanzato, Yuki Kanzato and Ryō Kanzato
- Mamiko Noto also voiced Fuuka Yamagishi, Ayane Komatsubara
- Ami Koshimizu also voiced Yukiko Amagi
- Aoi Yūki also voiced Futaba Sakura
- Yui Horie also voiced Chie Satonaka
- Kana Asumi also voiced Megumi Kayano and portrayed Kotone Shiomi
- Haruka Tomatsu also voiced Haru Okumura
- Megumi Toyoguchi also voiced Yukari Takeba
- Rie Kugimiya also voiced Rise Kujikawa
- Rina Satō also voiced Makoto Nijima
- Nana Mizuki also voiced Ann Takamaki
- Kana Hanazawa also voiced Marie
- Ayana Taketatsu also voiced Labrys
- Marina Inoue also voiced the female protagonist of Persona 3 Portable
- In the Catherine True Ending, she is shown in her demonic form, with the same face as she had previously, meaning that either that is her true face or she decided to stay that way just for Vincent. The same can be said of Vincent, who looks similar to his mortal form.
- Aspects of her demonic form are also present in her boss form in The Cathedral if one looks at her left arm (though this is more notable in the original Catherine/Catherine Classic compared to Full Body).
- In the original game, the True Katherine ending has a slight error, the chalkboard reads: "Welcome to our wedding party: Vincent and Catherine." While this is corrected in Full Body, the original chalkboard message is reused in Catherine's new ending in Full Body.
- Catherine confirmed in the Catherine Good Ending and Catherine True Ending that she is unable to bear children with a human male, though it is unclear if this is still true when Vincent becomes a demon himself, and the fact that she has a 'father' seems to indicate demons can reproduce (of course it's possible she and Nergal aren't blood-relatives).
- The new Catherine ending in Full Body seems to retcon this, though it is not explained how they have children in this ending.
- In Persona 4 Arena, Yu Narukami has a poster of Catherine in his room.
- Ann Takamaki of Persona 5 can dress as Catherine. Also in Persona 5, Futaba Sakura has a figure of Catherine on a stool.
- According to the Venus Mode Art Book, the design of Catherine's outfit and makeup are based, in part, on Christina Ricci's character in the movie Buffalo '66. Likewise Vincent's design is based, in part, on Vincent Gallo, the director and co-star of Buffalo '66.
- Catherine may be a reference to Birdo from Nintendo's Mario series who also wears a large red bow. In Japan, Birdo is known as Catherine. Both characters are depicted as being flirty. Birdo is also transgender which may possibly inspire the transgender themes in Catherine (i.e. Erica Anderson). The developers of Catherine seemed fond of Nintendo as Catherine wears a heart shirt which is a probable reference to Nintendo's Zelda series.
Catherine: Full Body
Monster boss form
|Vincent · Katherine · Catherine · Rin · Orlando · Jonny · Toby · Erica · Thomas Mutton|
|Stray Sheep goers|
|Justin · Todd · Archie · Daniel · Morgan · Anna · Lindsay and Martha · The Couple · Roderick · Abul|
|Trisha · Paul · Steve · Feather · Connie · Nergal · Archangel · Hysterical Sheep · Joker (DLC)|