|Occupation||Office Manager at Bantam Suits|
|ENG VA||Michelle Ruff|
|JPN VA||Kotono Mitsuishi|
- "Look, Vincent. You're not... hiding anything from me... are you...?"
Katherine McBride (キャサリン・マクブライド Kyasarin Makuburaido), also called K, is Vincent Brooks's loyal and steadfast girlfriend, who has been thinking more about their relationship and wants him to fully commit to her by marriage, but his indecisiveness is starting to increasingly annoy her as time goes by.
Katherine currently works as an office manager for a clothing company called Bantam Suits, the same company Todd Bozeman and Archie Wallace work for. She and Vincent don't live together for unknown reasons (possibly because of their workplace commutes), although she occasionally visits him to see how he is doing and drop off snacks.
Asides from the main Golden Playhouse storyline, Katherine is a playable character in co-op mode, where she and Vincent must work together to ascend the Babel. If a second player is present, they will control Katherine. If not, Katherine will be controlled by an AI bot. Katherine is also available in the DLC roster of Catherine: Full Body.
Katherine's surname implies she is of Scottish or Irish descent. She has slightly sharp facial features, long blonde-beige hair, and brown eyes. She wears thick black-rimmed glasses which are rimless at the top. She also wears blue nail polish and violet eyeshadow.
She wears a black turtleneck sweater with vertical blue lines on the lower half, which is rolled up to show a bit of her forearms, black pants, a blue jeweled accessory around her waist, and black high heels. Unlike Catherine and Rin, Katherine is the only love interest to dress conservatively, shows minimal skin and wears pants over a skirt, possibly stemming from her high school days where guys would leer at her.
- "No... I usually do the killing in my dreams."
- — Katherine to Vincent's question if she has died in a dream
Katherine has a by-the-book Type A personality: She is intelligent, mature, assertive, dominant, responsible, and goal-oriented. While generally serious, she is not without a sense of humor at times. Katherine is always straight-forward and doesn't appreciate between-the-lines insinuations or passive-aggressive accusations, both of which Vincent is guilty of. She has zero tolerance for anything she finds immature and mean-spirited.
Katherine is a bit of a workaholic who puts her career above almost everything else. She chides Vincent when he admits to working severe overtime with no extra pay, angry at her boyfriend for being taken advantage of it and not taking a stand for himself. She never tells Vincent to relax when it comes to work and accepts work as a valid excuse if he misses time with her. It also can be inferred that Katherine enjoys fashion, given she puts the effort into painting her nails and wears eyeshadow. She works at a clothing company and seems to go on a shopping spree in one of the endings, although it could be argued her working at a clothing company doesn't necessarily means she likes clothing and that the boxes in her ending may not be clothes either.
At times, Katherine can seem overbearing, naggy and bossy with a domineering attitude towards Vincent. For example, she is trying to pressure him into marriage, which he isn't comfortable with. Katherine proves that if someone can't be trusted to do something right, she will take care of it for them. The clearest example of this is when she takes full control of her and Vincent's finances after he consistently spends all his money on new computers, cell phones, alcohol and cigarettes. Another example is that she hates his messy apartment room, one of her texts revealing she has a set of spare keys to the apartment and cleaned it for him at least once (Vincent may condone this or reply "Don't touch my stuff.")
Katherine isn't shown to be the affectionate type, though whether this is a result of their recent relationship troubles or because of her natural personality is unknown. Most times she leaves him with a simple "Goodbye" and the only time she kisses Vincent or tells him she loves him is during the Katherine True Ending. However, Katherine frequently texts Vincent to let him know what's new and her feelings. She also doesn't like Vincent's drinking and smoking habits, once sending a text saying Vincent shouldn't drink too much and smugly smiling when she says Vincent should stop smoking since it won't be good for the child. From all this, it can be deduced that Katherine cares and loves Vincent in her own way.
The only things in the game shown to rattle Katherine are when she murders Catherine (though it happens in a dream), and when she is effectively dealing with the possibility of being pregnant completely alone as her boyfriend is off in his own world. She also gets emotional and tears up when breaking up with Vincent though she eventually leaves apparently calm, and later when he asks for forgiveness after their friends support that Catherine wasn't real.
Despite her cautious and responsible personality, Katherine apparently overlooks unprotected sex with Vincent, eventually thinking she may be pregnant. However, this is likely intentional by Katherine, hinting that she wants to become pregnant so that when she has a child, Vincent won't leave her and commit to marriage. Even though her fidelity was called into question with Steve Delhomme, Katherine has only made one lie (of omission) in the game: not telling Vincent immediately when she knew she wasn't pregnant. While clues have been left that Katherine might have been lying about the pregnancy as a test for Vincent to pass, her reaction during the break up with him paints a clearer picture. She tells him that the knowledge of the pregnancy actually scared her and admits to him she knew about the news earlier, but didn't tell him because she feared he would leave her. She feels guilty about this and realizes she was not being honest with Vincent, and how she was being manipulative by trying to "trap" Vincent with a child. Her moral conscience arises when she decides to tell Vincent this truth.
In an interview, her voice actress (Michelle Ruff) said Katherine is very vulnerable, yet strong and courageous, saying she stands up for herself and what she believes is best for her. "She's the character we find ourselves relating to from real life experiences or wanting to relate to. I really relied on my own experiences to put myself in her shoes. I think you'll find when you listen to her, she's really close to my own natural voice. I really tried to be as vulnerable as I could in that booth when we were recording." Voice director, Valerie Arem, commented, "Katherine is a real woman. She has dreams and emotions and feelings that make her special and unique. She really wants Vincent to see her for that and love her for her uniqueness. She is the strong one in their relationship and I think she is really hoping that Vincent will step up and finally be the strong one."
Katherine attended elementary school and high school with Vincent, Jonny Ariga, Orlando Haddick, Erica Anderson and Paul Miller. Her relationship with Vincent was initially antagonistic, as the boys would often steal and eat her lunch. Though it upset her, she began giving Vincent her snacks, indicating that she had a crush on him. They became more friendly with each other in high school, where Katherine was a cheerleader.
The two met again during their 10-year high school reunion. Afterwards when Katherine was depressed, Vincent ran to her side in the middle of the night and comforted her. He found out that she was having dating problems and started to give her advice, but he ended up falling for her himself. While seemingly romantic, Erica theorizes that Katherine only started dating him because her maternal instincts and dominant personality wouldn't allow her to leave a slacker like Vincent alone.
Katherine and Vincent have been in a steady relationship for the past 5 years, though he isn't interested in taking it to the next level and her parents have started to pressure her to marry. Furthermore, many of Katherine's friends are married and have kids, so it makes her feel left out to the point where she began to wanting both marriage and a child/children.
During the game, Katherine frequently visit a cafe called Chrono Rabbit, where she and Vincent meet up to see how each other are doing and chow down on food. Her first scenes were her arguments over his lack of overtime pay and the inability to stand up for himself. Katherine introduces the possibility of marriage between them, which Vincent disagrees. She continues bringing it up in texts and conversations until she finally tells him that she thinks she is pregnant with his child and will probably have to take maternity leave. Although initially upset by his sheer terror, he manages to calm her down.
In the following days, Katherine visits Vincent at home to bring him cake (which results in an ant infestation as he didn't eat at the end) and meets him at Chrono Rabbit, all the time narrowly missing Catherine. She also finds out she actually is pregnant, which she tells him, who reacts much the same as he did before. During one of their meetings, Vincent passive-aggressively accuses Katherine of cheating on him with a man named Steve Delhomme, whom she never heard of before. At this point, she mentions the mysterious and intimidating anonymous texts she has been receiving. These turn out to be from Catherine, sent in an effort to drive a wedge further between her and Vincent.
Later on, Katherine manifests with Catherine in Vincent's dream on Day 8, which takes place in his apartment. After a heated exchange of insults between the two women in which they call each other bitches and whores and futile attempts of trying to order each other out of Vincent's room, Katherine spans with despair due to Vincent's betrayal and Catherine's constant insults of her inferiority compared to her as Vincent's partner. On the edge of her sanity and feeling embarrassed, humiliated and defeated, Katherine silently stands up and moves over the kitchen sink to search for a kitchen knife while still facing and blankly staring at Vincent and Catherine, but to no avail as Catherine predicted this and took the knife in advance.
Vincent attempts to calm down Katherine by telling her that he had already called off his affair with Catherine, causing the latter to snap with rage and jealousy and blaming Katherine for Vincent's confusion. Catherine claims that if Katherine went away, Vincent could finally be free and attempts to kill her with the kitchen knife. Vincent tries to defend Katherine and is cut non-fatally in his right lower rib cage. As Katherine dashes over the coffee table to escape, Catherine grabs Katherine's hair, shoves her to the floor and a struggle begins. Catherine ends up impaling her abdomen despite seemingly having the upper-hand on Katherine while they are both on the ground.
Vincent pulls a terrified Katherine away to escape only to find that the two have been pulled into the Nightmare World: 8-1, The Cathedral. They both climb the tower, with a transformed Catherine chasing after them. Understandably, she lags behind due to not having any experience climbing blocks in the nightmares, but eventually manages to survive. At the top of the tower, Vincent confesses his love and commitment to Katherine when she cannot continue on because of his previous lies and affairs. She cries and almost turns suicidal, apologizing to him because she can't think of the future any more and asking him if he still thought about her during the affair. After Vincent says of course he did and apologizes to her, Katherine is still reluctant to escape and fall downs when the area shakes, but he jumps to cushion her before she asks a question which doesn't finish it.
In reality on Day 8, Vincent wakes up from his nightmare and finds Katherine in his apartment, who has no recollection of the prior events, even mentioning she has been watching him toss and turn in his sleep for a while. She came by because he wasn't answering his phone and confronts him when he mentions Catherine, claiming that she knows he has been hiding his infidelity from her. He admits he was cheating on a girl with the same name as her, but he ended it and is done with her.
Katherine admits that she found that her pregnancy was a false alarm, but didn't tell Vincent sooner despite her relief because she felt that he would leave her. Although she knew her mistakes, she was incredibly scared because his reactions didn't increase her confidence in him, making her question if he would rather leave her with the baby in order to not have to deal with the stress and commitment of being a father. Although Vincent claims he was happy about the news of her "pregnancy", Katherine is saddened because she isn't entirely convinced. Despite his best efforts to stop her, she politely yet firmly breaks up with him and leaves his apartment, giving him an energy drink on the way out, likely because of his fatigue and old friendship.
- Katherine True: Vincent tricks Katherine into meeting with him alone at the Stray Sheep, with Orlando sending a fake invitation to a friendly reunion and Boss providing the transportion. Once there, he explains his side of the story, including that Catherine wasn't real so technically there was no cheating. While hesitant to accept this ridiculous explanation, Orlando, Jonny and Toby Nebbins back him up, with Boss providing proof of the supernatural elements. The others step away to give Vincent and Katherine time alone, in which she bursts into tears and he says that even if Catherine wasn't real, he was still cheating in his heart and begs for forgiveness. He says that his life has no meaning without her and finishes, "I will hold you dear for the rest of our lives. Will you marry me?", to which she replies, "I guess...I'll consider it." Both show themselves to be very happily relieved and surprised. At the Stray Sheep a few months later, Boss introduces "the bride" for the cheer -who turns out to be Katherine, clad in a wedding dress, wearing her hair in a bun and without her glasses. She and Vincent have just been wed and are holding their reception at the Stray Sheep with Boss presiding as MC. After the credits roll, their friends then subject the couple to the traditional kiss call - and despite blushes, they oblige. She leans close and passionately tells him, "I love you so much, Vincent..." She pulls away, and he replies just after the screen fades to black, "And I love you...Katherine."
- Katherine Good: This ending starts like the True Ending, but a few months before the wedding. Katherine and Vincent are unclothed in his bed, where she sits on top on him while looking through a wedding dress magazine. She nags him about putting together the list of his wedding guests, which he still has yet to do. After ignoring Vincent's pleas to get off him as she is crushing him, Katherine decides to go out to grab something to eat with him. Afterwards, an ant crawls out the window.
- Katherine Bad: Vincent tricks Katherine into meeting with him alone at the Stray Sheep, with Orlando sending a fake invitation to a friendly reunion and Boss providing the transportation. Once there, he explains his side of the story: that Catherine wasn't real, so technically he didn't cheat at all. Although Katherine does trust his words, she senses that he only wants the excitement and tells Vincent there is no second chance for them to be together again, despite his pleadings. After she bids farewell, he is consoled by Boss, encouraging him to give it more time while Orlando and Jonny told him that he is already free from commitment and can date again, which puts Boss off. However, these actions do little to comfort Vincent, who says he will be okay without her and fall asleep at the table, exhausted from all the nightmares. While at it, his pals accompany him for a round of drinks. There are no pictures shown after the credits unlike other endings, Katherine is instead heard tapping her finger onto the table and snaps him out of it by saying "Hey, where'd you go?". This is reminiscent of the game's prologue scene at the Chrono Rabbit.
During the Freedom endings, Jonny mentions asking Katherine out after their breakup. Based on his statement, "I guess I'm not good enough," she turned him down. Jonny also was going to suggest that Katherine still might harbor feelings for Vincent before being cut off by the latter.
Catherine: Full Body
Full Body shows more of Katherine's past with Vincent, including her briefly interacting with Vincent and his friends in high school and the early stages of their relationship.
If the player does Rin's route, Katherine confronts Vincent in his room and tells him she knows he is cheating on her with two women. Katherine helps Catherine to attack, torture and kill Vincent. After attacking Vincent with an axe, she misses and tries to kill Catherine for being in her way, deeming she should be the one to kill Vincent first. Katherine ends up being murdered by Catherine's chainsaw, drenching Vincent's face in her blood. However, it is revealed this is only an illusionary Katherine in Vincent's nightmare.
Subsequently, Katherine and Vincent appear to have a more amicable break up in the Rin route where they stay on friendly terms, and the scene is portrayed as being less emotional, with Katherine being more straightforward and confident about it. Katherine asks Vincent about what the "girl" he's into is like, but Vincent replies that he's male, surprising her, although Katherine says that he must be nice for Vincent to be with him, saying she never really stood a chance.
In Katherine Alternate Ending, in which Katherine breaks up with Vincent, Katherine sits alone in her room, wondering if she's not that attractive. Katherine notices an invitation on her desk saying that she has been invited to "Brand New Me!" While on a stroll through downtown, Vincent notices Katherine in a red dress at a fashion designer party. Katherine tells him she has joined a fashion magazine. Vincent calls her pretty and asks her out, but Katherine apologizes and declines, saying she has plans. It is revealed Katherine has become very popular and has received admirers but she tells them "maybe later next week". Katherine leaves in a helicopter and tells Vincent that she was held down by him and felt trapped. Katherine thanks Vincent for helping her realize that "people are more free than you think" and reminds him he is free to do what he wants with his life now too, but this upsets Vincent who still has feelings for her. In the ending credits, Vincent tries to get back together with Katherine again but she turns him down while holding another man's hand, implying Katherine has found someone else. Katherine is later seen smiling looking at a photo of her and Vincent.
In Catherine Alternate Ending, in which Catherine rewrites history, Katherine gets together with Paul.
- "Like I said before, I'm having dinner with some old friends. It's surprising... Most of them are already married, and almost half of them have kids. They're all showing off pictures of their families and it makes me feel left out. Maybe it's time for us to get out of our comfort zone too."
- "Wait a second... Are you out drinking at Stray Sheep again? You know you have work tomorrow! Geez... Take it easy, ok?"
- "Um... Can I meet you for lunch tomorrow? You don't need to reply to me now. Just meet me at the cafe for lunch. I'll be there... Please come. Good night."
- "Are you still at the Stray Sheep? Haven't you been there every night lately? I thought you had an upset stomach today... Why are you drinking again? Please, take care of yourself. You're not just living for you anymore."
- "Sorry. Maybe I was a little too harsh. I mean, I did overload you with stuff about maternity leave and money... But it's important, so be sure to keep it in mind, okay?"
- "Hi. This morning must have been hard for you. Well... I guess I was in the wrong too, for showing up so suddenly. But... I wanted to talk to you a little more, face-to-face."
- "I... I'm... really confused right now... I mean, you've been acting really strange this week. This has never happened before. I'm worried about us..."
- "Eat that piece of cake I gave you, or it's going to get stale. I know we couldn't talk much yesterday. I've been busy with work, and it's hard to make time. I might not be able to pick up the phone sometimes... I'll give you a call soon."
- "What's going on? Vincent... Have you gotten involved in something bad? If that's the case, tell me. Tell me the truth. Your problems are my problems now."
- "Can I trust you? How can I believe what you're saying...? I hate to have to say that, but you were being weird at lunch. I'm sorry, but I'm not so gullible that I can just believe whatever comes out of your mouth. I need to hear the truth from you. We're going to be sharing our lives together!"
- "It's so hard to tell what you're thinking sometimes..." (to Vincent)
- "See ya."
- "Who's that...?" (seeing Catherine for the first time)
- "We're going inside and you're going to tell me exactly what's going on here." (to Vincent)
- "So... if I'm not mistaken, it would appear you have another woman in your life, yes?"
- "If you're going to make excuses, can you at least look me in the eye?"
- "I thought you were acting a little weird recently, but THIS?"
- "What are you saying? And I don't want to hear any more of your bullshit."
- "What are you, damn sick in the head or something?" (to Catherine)
- "Why the hell should I?! You're the one who should be leaving, BITCH!" (to Catherine)
- "W-why you...! You little WHORE...! DAMMIT, VINCENT!" (to Catherine)
- "You want me to FORGIVE YOU...?! HOW CAN I...?! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!" (to Vincent)
- "Of course it's not a lie! You just SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH!" (to Catherine)
- "What is this... What the hell is this!?" (entering Cathedral)
- "No...! I'm scared...!"
- "I'm sorry! I can't think of the future after all this...!"
- "...You've been cheating on me, haven't you? Do you admit it?"
- "Just stop babbling for a second. You haven't made a bit of sense this entire time. *sigh* You're such a disappointment."
- "It isn't about forgiveness... Look, did you think I didn't notice? I've been with you this long... Of course I noticed..."
- "Snap out of it! Vincent... I came here to break up with you."
- "When I thought I was pregnant, I was scared the entire tine... But I thought... maybe you'd be happy for me..." (Katherine cries)
- "...None of that will change anything... There's nothing left between us, so don't call me."
- "It's over... between us. What you want is "excitement." It's written on your face. I'm going now. Goodbye." (in her Bad Ending)
- "Oh no, someone beat me to it. Come on... I always knew. You've been cheating on me. With two different people, no less... Why couldn't you be happy with just me? Am I really that undesirable?"
- "Oh, I'm perfectly calm. I know exactly what'll happen if I bring this axe down."
- "Enough of this. Don't worry. I'll kill you before SHE DOES!"
- "You're the one IN THE WAY! What the hell is your problem?!" (to Catherine)
- "GET BACK HERE, VINCENT!"
- "I'LL KILL YOU FIRST!" (swinging axe at Catherine)
- "Stop groveling. You're not the only one in the wrong here. The truth is... I found out a while ago I wasn't really pregnant."
- "Let's move on and enjoy our own lives... but you better not regret it when I become a better woman in the future."
- "O-oh! They must really be something special... Hah, I didn't stand a chance, huh?" (realizing Vincent is in a gay relationship)
- "You know, I always felt tied down. Constrained by expectations of who I should be. But now I've realized something... People can be free... and I have you to thank for that. Vincent, you take that freedom... and go live your life!"
Katherine is a variant of the name Catherine which is believed to have three possible Greek origins: "katharos" meaning pure, "aikia" meaning torture, and the name of Hecate the goddess of magic. Hecate is sometimes viewed as the Greek counterpart of Irkalla, the name of the Sumerian underworld and its ruler (the wife of Nergal)
"McBride" obviously alludes to the fact that she wants to get married to Vincent. Doom's Bride also hints at this. "Mc" or "Mac" is a common prefix in people who are of Irish/Scottish descent, implying Katherine is of Scottish/Irish descent.
The Trivia for Tonight.....
- In unused dialogue, Erica mentions Katherine likes kids, and so is probably happy about the pregnancy.
- In unused dialogue, Orlando mentions that Katherine had a pet caterpillar when she was younger.
- She plays a very large part of Vincent's fears, manifesting herself in the Nightmare stages as the Fist of Grudge and Doom's Bride.
- Katherine is the protagonist of the manga Catherine: Full Body ~side story of K~ which shows what Katherine was up to during the game.
- Atlus held a Katherine versus Catherine poll. Although the competition was close, Katherine won with a slight edge.
- Catherine is written as キャサリン (Kyasarin) in Japanese for both Catherine and Katherine. This leads to a lot more ambiguous references in the Japanese game, as the player must rely on context which C/Katherine is being talked about. In a few instances in the English version, the vagueness of which one Vincent is talking about is so important, the localization team altered the subtitles to read as "her" when he actually speaks her name, leaving the player intentionally confused.
- Katherine represents the black haired and mature looking woman in which a man has to choose between her or a blonde and young-looking woman (Catherine) in one of the Lovers Arcana tales. Katherine represents the romantic and intellectual attraction shown by how she is towards Vincent in the game.
- Katherine and Catherine share the same English voice actors with Yukari Takeba (Michelle Ruff voices Katherine and Yukari) and Rise Kujikawa (Laura Bailey voices Catherine and Rise), the characters who represent the Lovers Arcana (as Lovers Social Links and dating interests) in Persona 3 and Persona 4, respectively. Both games are related to Catherine.
- In the original game, the True Katherine ending has a slight error, the chalkboard reads: "Welcome to our wedding party: Vincent and Catherine." This is corrected in the remake.
- Besides the main character, Vincent, Katherine is the only character who has multiple characters that she can be in a relationship with by the end of the story depending on player choices and endings: In the Katherine good and true endings, she ends up with Vincent but in the new Katherine ending she appears to be in a relationship with an unnamed blonde helicopter pilot and in the new Catherine ending she is in a relationship with Paul.
- In one of her phone images, Katherine inexplicably only has four toes. Either this is simply an animation goof, or Katherine is oligodactyly.
- She has an impressive sweet tooth. Every time (except Day 6) that she is at Chrono Rabbit, she is eating cake, usually strawberry.
- Makoto Niijima of Persona 5 can dress as Katherine.
- Katherine bears a resemblance to Makoto's sister Sae. Physically, they have long light-colored hair, black outfits with turtlenecks and pants, nail polish, and high heels. They are also workaholics and somewhat manipulative women.
Catherine: The Novel
Catherine: Full Body
|Vincent · Katherine · Catherine · Rin · Orlando · Jonny · Toby · Erica · Boss|
|Stray Sheep goers|
|Justin · Todd · Archie · Daniel · Morgan · Anna · Lindsay and Martha · The Couple · Roderick · Abul|
|Trisha · Paul · Steve · Feather · Connie · Nergal · Big Brother · Hysterical Sheep · Joker (DLC)|