|Occupation||Pianist at Stray Sheep|
|ENG VA||Brianna Knickerbocker|
|JPN VA||Aya Hirano|
- "I'll be fine because I'll be by your side."
- — Rin to Vincent
Rin (リン Rin), also known as Qatherine, is a new character in the game Catherine: Full Body.
She is suffering from amnesia and does not remember who she is apart from her name. She is Vincent Brooks's new neighbor, living in an apartment room beside his, and also becomes the pianist at the Stray Sheep.
Rin acts as a healing presence for Vincent through the nightmares and exemplifies new values.
Rin is also a playable character in the game's DLC.
Rin has pink hair in a bob cut and light blue eyes.
Rin wears a light blue dress that stops right before the knees with wings drawings on her upper back. Rin has a white tie and light blue shoes. Rin has a strange and odd-looking bracelet on her left wrist that looks almost alien-like. Inside is what looks like to be pink smoke or powder.
She has a white-and-pink stripped hoodie with pink shorts which are her pajamas. They were given to her by Erica Anderson.
Rin has a different personality than Catherine and Katherine McBride. Rin has a gentle and obedient personality. She seems to be very pure of heart, lacking any traces of hate, and has a very innocent, peaceful, empathetic and compassionate personality. Rin is gay-friendly, saying if people are in love, she does not see why their sex should not matter because love is love.
Despite Rin's kind attitude, she is shown to have a backbone and can be quite stern and vocal when put into tough situations. Despite her obedient personality, there are still moments when she doesn't back down, such as when she feels offended.
It is also implied Rin likes music, given her ability to play piano, and her desire to play the piano is one of the few things that survived her amnesia. Although she is not the best piano player, she is trying hard to improve, especially because her piano playing can help men survive in the nightmares.
She is shown to be somewhat clumsy, which often gets her into embarrassing situations. She also has some unusual behavior, lacks social etiquette, and may be autistic to a degree.
Rin likes to collect random trinkets, knick-knacks and memorabilia which she puts in her room. One of her favorite ones is a blue cube because it makes her feel less sad.
Catherine: Full Body
Rin and Vincent first meet when she accidentally bumps into him on the street while apparently fleeing from someone. Afterwards, Vincent helps Rin find an apartment right beside his as the previous tenant just moved out. He also helps her get a pianist job at the Stray Sheep. Erica takes Rin to the doctor, but the doctor did not find anything usual.
Rin then talks to Vincent at the bar, asking Vincent about her piano performance. Although he is not very impressed, he encourages her to improve, saying that's how people learn. Vincent's friends warn Vincent not to look at Rin like "that", although Vincent tells them off, reminding them they have an age gap. Everyone hopes Rin's amnesia will disappear.
Oddly enough, Rin appears in the nightmares, playing the piano during all the chaos. Rin does not appear as a sheep, making the sheep-men suspicious of her. Her piano has the power to halt the collapsing stage, activated automatically when Vincent is in an emergency. A green light appears as the piano's melody is heard. Rin is bothered because if she knew how to play the piano better, she could save more men, although Vincent tells her that if it weren't for her abilities, many more would be dead.
On Day 3, Vincent finds Rin in her room sleeping under her piano. He wakes her up and she slams her head on a piano. Vincent gives her a phone and he discovers her true name is Qatherine. Rin tells Vincent that she doesn't know how to write her name, but she remembers that phonetically, it's her full name, so the Q may be wrong. Vincent is disturbed and he decides to call her Rin anyway because it's easier.
On Day 4, Rin is bothered by a drunk sexist guy. He asks Rin over to have a seat with him, but she apologizes and says no, as she is practicing. This angers him and he says all women should do what he says. Rin stands up to him, saying he doesn't have the right to choose how other people live their lives. Vincent intervenes and tells him to cut it out. The guy then passes out and Vincent tells Rin she should ignore people like that.
On Day 5, when Vincent is visited by a mysterious blue eye (possibly Steve Delhomme), Rin hears Vincent falling over in shock. Vincent invites Rin to his apartment. Rin decides to give Vincent a comforting hug, saying she likes him and will always be by his side. This comforts Vincent, although he becomes uncomfortable, saying this is too much.
On Day 6, Vincent arrives home to find Rin lying on the floor of her apartment. He checks to see if Rin is okay. Rin does not realize her towel has unwrapped and stands up naked, shocking Vincent because he sees Rin lacks breasts and has male genitalia, revealing that Rin is a crossdressing male, much to Vincent’s surprise.
- Note: This wiki uses male pronouns because Rin uses male pronouns from this point on in the Japanese version as the original version of Rin identifies as male. This may change to female pronouns in the English localized version, but this is uncertain at the moment.
Rin reaches his hand towards Vincent, but his hand is swatted away by him as a kneejerk reaction without thought, and Vincent has a look of surprise and immediate regret. Rin, stunned, says sorry and runs out of the room in tears, leaving both of them with heavy hearts.
Vincent enters the Stray Sheep and wonders if Rin is there, but it's just Erica. Erica demands Vincent phone call him and apologize. Vincent does so, saying he was shocked and that he didn't mean to hurt him. Rin instead apologizes for running away, but Vincent still tries to take the blame. Rin tells Vincent that he has liked Vincent since they met, and initially intended to hide these feelings because he believed Vincent wouldn't want to know about them as he was in a relationship and with a woman, but Rin had a change of heart after getting to know Vincent and thought he might still accept him in spite of his sex. Rin mentions that while their time together was still fun, says he doesn't plan on returning to the Stray Sheep, asks him to please become happy, then hangs up.
If the player decides to do Rin's branch, Vincent's nightmare is altered. In it, Vincent sees Catherine defiling Rin's murdered body with a knife, spilling blood all over Rin's piano and toys. Vincent flees to safety in his room, although Katherine tries to murder him too. He defends himself from Catherine and Katherine, but is saved from the real Rin, as the dead one is an illusion, although Rin gets a cut on his leg. Rin follows Vincent in the nightmare stage as they flee from monster Catherine, although Rin gets abducted by the creature.
Later, Vincent discovers Rin is still alive and is being held hostage in the nightmares by Boss. After Vincent defeats Boss, Rin and Vincent reunite (depending on the route, Rin and Vincent may confess their love and kiss, or they may simply enter the door which defeats Boss).
In the True/Good Ending routes, at the Stray Sheep, they relax and Rin reveals that he belongs to a race which are considered "angels" in Vincent's world. However, they are confronted by some strange angelic-looking being who Rin reveals is his brother. "Big Brother" wishes to bring Rin back home with him, which both Rin and Vincent oppose. The brother prepares to destroy humanity, but Rin convinces him to let Vincent try to prove himself first by partaking in a trial, similar to the preceding nightmares. If Vincent wins, humanity won't be destroyed and Rin can stay with Vincent.
- Rin True Ending: Upon defeat, Rin's brother takes on the form of a number of small pink aliens. The aliens were responsible for many 'miracles' that happened in human history. Vincent and Rin decide that despite their differences and the fact that Rin's alien family initially wanted to destroy Vincent's world, they should be together. Several months later, Rin is seen performing at a piano concert in space for a group of aliens and Vincent's friends. Vincent reveals that he is working as Rin's music producer, helping to share his piano playing through space. Rin and Vincent get married in the post credits.
- Rin Good Ending: Same as True, just without the concert.
- Rin Bad Ending: The Bad Ending omits everything regarding Rin's Big Brother and after. Rin leaves Vincent a note declaring he has decided it's for the best that he leaves him, but he hopes to return.
- Dear Vincent,
- I know my decision would sway if I see
- you, so please forgive me for leaving you
- with only this letter.
- I was so happy when you came to save me,
- Vincent. Overcoming that nightmare together
- let me realize what this power of mine is.
- So I must leave for a while, to help others
- in a new place. I hope you'll wait for me until
- I come back to see you again.
- With love from Rin
- Rin is seen leaving in a spaceport. As he leaves, a feather drops on the floor, apparently implying Rin is an angel. Vincent hopes to see Rin again one day and wants to better himself, so he takes up learning guitar, but sucks at playing it.
The Trivia for Tonight.....
- GameGrumps predicted the existence of a third "Catherine" with a Q in one of their videos. They also predicted Qatherine being a "blob" to a degree, as Qatherine's true form is a blob-like alien. Game reviewer Yahtzee Crowshaw also joked about another "Catherine" with a Q.
- A fan-joke is that Rin is a Minion, due to his alien species resembling them.
- In the game, a rumor emerges that anyone who listens to Rin's piano music will be granted happiness. The actual power of the piano when described by one of the aliens is "to change people's prejudices and bloom new possibilities". In order to get either the new Katherine ending or the new Catherine ending, Vincent must send either Katherine or Catherine a video of Rin playing piano.
- Rin's endings are also unique in a few notable ways. Rin is the only love interest whose 'good' ending does not have any images after the credits and the only love interest whose 'bad' ending does have images. Furthermore, it is implied by the images following the credits of Rin's bad ending that Rin and Vincent will end up together, making Rin the only love interest to have no endings where Vincent ends up alone and single.
- The mannequin in Rin's room wears a Morgana hat.
- Rin has a theme song titled "Tomorrow" which is the music she practices so that it can halt the collapsing blocks in the nightmares. It has a more melancholic version called "Sorrow".
- Before the game's release, many fans debated whether or not Rin was transgender or a cross dresser. One of the first trailers shows Vincent surprised while looking at Rin unclothed. Rin's hair and clothes are also the blue/white/pink color scheme of the Transgender Pride Flag, although it is unknown if this is intentional.
- The possibility of Rin being trans stirred a lot of controversy. There were many fans concerned about how Rin would be portrayed, especially since the portrayal of Erica, a trans woman, is widely considered to be problematic. Rin's ambiguous status has also resulted in the fan-nickname "Trapthrine." Due to the term "trap" being found by many members and allies of the LGBT+ community to be denigratory, this added more controversy to the issue of Rin's debatable status at the time.
- Hashino states that Catherine: Full Body is a complete version of the concept from the previous game, which can be delivered because the sense of values has been diversified since 7 years ago. The existence of Rin is someone who makes it possible for others to find new values represented in this game.
- Upon the release in Japan, it is revealed that Rin is an otokonoko, what is essentially a cross-dresser in Japan. Depending on the ending, Rin can become human and stay with Vincent, ultimately marrying him or leave after declaring that it’s best for them to not be together.
- Vincent and his friends are called out by Erica for not noticing that Rin is male sooner.
- Rin's real name is revealed to be @+*+?¥$, with a difficult pronunciation. Upon learning this, Vincent jokes that he'll stick to using "Rin".
Catherine: Full Body
|Vincent · Katherine · Catherine · Rin · Orlando · Jonny · Toby · Erica · Boss|
|Stray Sheep goers|
|Justin · Todd · Archie · Daniel · Morgan · Anna · Lindsay and Martha · The Couple · Roderick · Abul|
|Trisha · Paul · Steve · Feather · Connie · Nergal · Big Brother · Crazy Fat Sheep|